Friday 4 October 2013

Halo A Universe All Its Own

Is there a story in a game that left you with something? That something could have moved you emotional, or had you on the edge of your seat. It could have gripped you or sparked your imagination. What ever it was the story left you with something after it happened. This story does not have to be just a story in a particular game but the universe itself. Do you have one in mind? Well here is mine.

Halo



Now I hope that you are familiar with this universe because in my opinion it is one of the best game universes out there. If you haven't played the game or read any of the novels then I highly recommended it. NOTE if you are unfamiliar with the universe and what goes on then there may be spoilers and I can not do that to anyone, you have been warned.

What makes this story so special to me? Not just that Halo Combat evolved was one of my first shooters on the PC and has sentimental value coming from an fps player now. If I was to describe the story in one word it would be epic. The story is about a interstellar war between humanity and other forms of life. It is about the struggle of humanity to survive in a galactic universe. More importantly my favorite part of this story is the relationship between the John and Cortana. You as the player play and Master Chief Petty Officer John 117 with his AI companion Cortana. In the first game Halo Combat Evolved, the player start off the game by waking up from a cryochamber as the ship is getting boarded. The first time you as the player meets Cortana you can already tell that John and Cortana know each other well as they have witty banter. From there john and Cortana work as a well oiled machine killing the bad guys and doing what they can to fight the Covenant. There have been some times that the Cheif and Cortana are separated but john always comes and saves her. Now this relationship was not hte main focus for most of the games, but in Halo 4 Chief's relationship with Cortana is one of the main focuses of the game. Cortana has been operating past her 7 year life span and is showing signs of strange behavior, irritability and glitches. Although she is becoming "Rampant" (a state of knowledge overload making AI's think to death) she still fights with the chief and tries to still relay tactical information to him. Mater Chief keeps her save from the captain of the infinity, who wants to delete her. the ending scene of the game left me emotional and speechless. I have invested alto into these two characters and the ending got to me in a way I was not expecting. Here is the ending scene as it left me with things what cant be explained by words alone.


When Cortana walks up and touches John for the first time and says, "I have waited so long to do that." I cant explain how I felt at that moment as there are no words for it. That ending scene left me with something that no other game has before. Now that you know mine what is your game?

No comments:

Post a Comment